The United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit seeks applications for a bankruptcy judgeship in the District of Kansas. Bankruptcy judges are appointed to 14-year terms pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §152. The position is located in Wichita, Kansas and will be available July 1, 2020, pending successful completion of a background investigation. The current annual salary is $194,028.
To qualify for appointment an applicant must:
- Be a member in good standing of the bar of the highest court of at least one state, the District of Columbia, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and a member in good standing of every other bar of which the applicant is a member.
- (1) Possess, and have a reputation for, integrity and good character; (2) possess, and have demonstrated, a commitment to equal justice under the law; (3) possess, and have demonstrated, outstanding legal ability and competence; (4) indicate by demeanor, character, and personality that the applicant would exhibit judicial temperament if appointed; and (5) be of sound physical and mental health sufficient to perform the essential duties of the office.
- Not be related by blood or marriage to (1) a judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit; (2) a member of the Judicial Council of the Tenth Circuit; or (3) a judge of the District of Kansas, within the degrees specified in 28 U.S.C. §458 at the time of the initial appointment.
- Have been engaged in the active practice of law or other suitable law-related occupation for a period of at least five years.
- Comply with financial disclosure requirements pursuant to the Ethics in Government Act of 1978, Pub. L. No.95-521, 92 Stat. 1924 (1978) (codified as amended at 5 U.S.C. app. §§ 101-111).
- Be willing to serve, if selected.
The selection process will be confidential and competitive. Applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, gender, religion, national origin, or disability unless such disability causes the applicant to be unable to perform the essential duties of the office.
Persons interested in applying may obtain an application form by:
- Downloading a copy from this page.
- Requesting a copy by calling the Office of the Circuit Executive at 303.844.2067 and asking to speak with a member of the Judicial Resources team.
In order to be considered, applications must be received in the Office of the Circuit Executive, Byron White U.S. Courthouse, 1823 Stout Street, Denver, CO, 80257 or via email to email@example.com, on or before Monday, November 4, 2019.
The federal courts are equal opportunity employers.